Sunday, April 13, 2008

March 21, 2008


Before my memory fails me completely, I do want to tell you some of the things I wanted to share with you last week - before receiving Mr. Rusnell’s disturbing article on our friend, Brenda Martin’s, situation. I’ll get back to that later.

The first thing I wanted to mention was, as I had written the previous week, that I had been invited to attend THE event of the year, Puerto Vallarta’s revered Becas Ball. This is –to the best of my knowledge- the only event that attracts all the upper crust of both local Vallartans and foreigners (which is without doubt the reason for which I’d never been invited until this time, just because my friend had an extra ticket…)

This year’s edition was held at the Westin Resort & Spa in Marina Vallarta, on the Los Arcos Patio, outside, by the shore. The place was packed, the décor superb, and the band and its singer … fabulous. What I did not know as I was madly foraging for anything that wasn’t a sundress in what I call my «Montreal boxes» (stuff that I brought down 14 years ago and never use), was that 1) the event would be held outside, and 2) that our usually welcomed «cool ocean breeze» would turn into gusts of something akin to a stingingly cold, Canadian-like nor’easter. Some of the ladies obviously knew, as they kept relatively warm, elegantly wrapped in beautiful shawls.

A professional auctioneer, Mr. Nathan Clakley of Walnut Creek, CA, was hired to conduct the auction. He climbed upon the huge disco-like stage set up in the middle of the Patio, surrounded by tables on three sides, with the raised stage at the head. Accompanying him was an older Mexican gentleman whom we were told would act as translator.

My companion and I were seated at a table with five other couples, folks we had never met before. All really fun people, and obviously with the means to bid on everything up for auction – which they did.

Mr. Clakley was very verbose in his welcoming statement. He then handed the microphone over to the Mexican gentleman, who said, in Spanish: «Ummm… welcome to everyone,» and gave the mike back to the MC, who then spoke about how much he values and respects the work and accomplishments of the Becas Vallarta organization, how wonderful it was that the students would go to school, go home, study and go to bed - instead of getting involved in unsavory occupations, and so on. The Mexican gentleman was handed the mike once again, and this time he translated the lengthy speech as: «Ummm… students go home and go to bed.» Trying to stifle my laughter, I whispered what had just happened to my companion, who doesn’t understand Spanish. A lovely lady from North Carolina who was seated at our table overheard me. She burst out laughing, so I had to tell the others that the «interpreter» either didn’t understand English, couldn’t remember everything Mr. Clakley said, or was just lazy. It really was very funny, and we all had a good laugh, but I felt bad for those guests who didn’t understand English either, as what Mr. Clakley said was very nice indeed, and most complimentary. The auction itself was not translated for them at all.

I hope you all spent a wonderful St. Patrick’s Day, but for many of us, the date will always carry a sad memory as it is the day on which our friend Mary Sue Morris left this earthly plane, a year ago. Rest in peace, Mary Sue.

Without any intention of encroaching on Ronnie Bravo’s specialty, there is one little thing I’d like to share with you… From time to time, when I want to check my email on Yahoo!, I find that I cannot get into my «inbox». I usually surf with Explorer, but when that happens, I get out of that one and switch to Mozilla. When I did that today, and attempted to check my email on Yahoo!, this is the message I got:
«Can’t talk now. System’s down. Sorry for the holdup. Looks like a temporary glitch in our network has part of Yahoo! mail down, so you’re briefly without service. Rest assured the alarms are blaring in the basement and our team is working frantically to get you up and running ASAP. Again, the snag is on our end — so there’s no need for you to do a thing.
Back to it,
Yahoo! Mail Team»

Now, I find that to be very nice, considerate, on their part. Why wouldn’t they post the same thing on Explorer?

Having spent time with Mr. Steve Wozniak, the inventor of the Apple Computer and co-founder of Apple Inc. last week (see separate article), the story of Michael Nygard’s airport experience last week made me chuckle. It appears that Mr. Nygard, a computer programmer, was pulled aside and made to sit in the holding area. He watched as a gaggle of TSA workers examined his things, especially his laptop ... «‘There’s no drive,’ one said. ‘And no ports on the back. It has a couple of lines where the drive should be,’ she continued...» As you’ve probably guessed, Michael’s MacBook Air had them all baffled. Fortunately, a younger member of the team eventually arrived and explained that it’s not a «device», but a computer with a solid state hard drive. So here’s a warning to anyone traveling with a MacBook Air: schedule a few extra minutes for the airport.

Everyone’s been talking about the «new kid» in town - Coconuts. This is a restaurant located where Palacio Oriental used to be, at the corner of Lazaro Cardenas and Constitucion. If you haven’t tried it yet, go for it! Good, down home southern cooking, all prepared on the spot, from scratch, country fried steak or chicken, fish, bar-b-q’d ribs, fresh breads - corn, basil, parmesan garlic… Fried green tomatoes (yes, the real thing), collared greens, creamed spinach, hush puppies, etc. etc. Different all-you-can-eat specials every day, nice, soothing décor, and really friendly, attentive service …plus very reasonable prices! The place has already become a favorite among many of us locals, and it’s only been open for a little over a month, so reservations are now recommended: 141-0313 to speak to John, the owner, or 131-8808 for his partner, Seth.

Now that we are under new management at the Tribune, with Sr. Eduardo Navarrete as Managing Director, I have to drive out there again, once a week. Originally, this talented young man from Mexico City had scheduled the meetings for 9 a.m., but when I explained the traffic situation to him, he was kind enough to move them to 11 a.m.

At the best of times, the traffic along the Libramiento bypass depends entirely on its intersection with Francisco Villa Avenue, a.k.a. Hell Corner. It can take up to a full 15 minutes, no kidding, to cross it because of the strange lights system. And what makes it even worse are the drivers who find themselves stuck right in the middle of that godawful place, with nowhere to go. Everyone’s an optimist, believing that the line will move enough to get them out of the way… Never happens. Also, if you are daring enough to drive around these weeks, be careful with those radar traps. They’re everywhere. But if someone comes to your window as you’re sitting there seething, and asks you for a contribution to the Red Cross, please, please, give them something. The local Red Cross is grossly underfunded and it truly needs our help!

I wish you all a most Happy Easter, a wonderful holiday in our unusually cool little paradise, and please, stay out of trouble with the authorities!

Regarding our friend Brenda, the Mexican courts have declared that there will be no change in her situation pending the judge’s decision AFTER her trial. And heaven only knows when that will be. This has turned into a major international affair, broadcast as the No. 1 story on the national newscasts in Canada. Not good. Not for Mexico, not for Canada, and most of all, not for Brenda.
Hasta luego. pvmom04@yahoo.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home