Friday, February 8, 2008

Feb. 9, 2008


There are a number of different radio stations one can tune into in Puerto Vallarta, each with its own format, but when I’m driving around town, my favorite is Radio Cultural. Beautiful soothing, calming classical music to counteract the madness that has taken over this town’s traffic.

I swear, I have never seen as much traffic on the Libramiento as there has been over the last couple of months, since the «season» started. One time, the cars were backed up all the way from the Francisco Villa intersection …to the tunnel!

Getting back to the radio, imagine my surprise when I found myself listening to an ad promoting safe sex! Yessiree, you read right. Be smart, use condoms. Way to go, Radio Cultural! Until a few years ago, those were only available in certain drugstores, and people had to ask for them ‘cause they were not displayed. When one looks at the statistics of teenage pregnancies in this country…

I also noticed all the breathtakingly beautiful primavera trees blooming all over the place. Thank heavens for the few that are left, that haven’t been cut down in the night by some careless developer or a resident who was «tired of sweeping up the flowers that had fallen overnight» in front of their house…

I’ve had the pleasure of various house guests lately, some announced, some not. One couple of friends down here from cold and snowy Montreal asked me what I could suggest to them for an evening of entertainment. I recommended the Marigalante. They looked at me with that look, you know, the one that says «Really?» Yes, really. They went, and when they got home, they couldn’t stop talking about how much fun they had, how great the food was, the ship itself, the entertainment, etc. etc. Trust me, folks. If you haven’t taken their evening cruise yet, consider it seriously. The shows are great, the fireworks are right above you, you’ll love it - if you want to have fun, that is.

So this is the week of love, the month of love. We’ve received all sorts of interesting notes lately, many shops and restaurants are going all out to make this Valentine’s Day an unforgettable one for our visitors, and for the locals too. Galeria Vallarta is offering some beautiful authentic amber jewelry from Chiapas, heart earrings, necklaces with heart pendants, abalone jewelry in heart shapes, and so on. A good place to visit for that last minute gift.
A few years ago, my colleague Liana - the Tribune’s Irreverent Chef - published a special menu for Valentine’s Day. I happened upon it as I was going through some archives and I thought it might interest some of you. Aphrodisiac Valentine’s Day Menu: Appetizer: Oysters on the Half Shell, with Lime and Pomegranate Mignonette, Salad: Cold Steamed Asparagus Spears wrapped in Prosciutto with Roasted Tomato Vinaigrette and Diced Roma Tomatoes, Main Dish: Big Shrimp, Grilled and served with Basil Garlic Butter, Side Dishes: Steamed Baby Zucchini Truffle Risotto, Dessert: Banana split (Vanilla Ice Cream, Bananas, Chocolate Sauce and Fresh Strawberries). Liana assured our readers that «This menu has been specially designed to encourage loving feelings in mind and body. Good luck, and Happy Valentine’s Day! May it be filled with fabulous food and sensual delights.»

While I was going through those archives, I also came across an article that appeared three years ago. The heading read «Patronato Formed to Preserve Vallarta’s Historical Center» with the following text: «An important step in preserving the image of Puerto Vallarta as a typical pueblo was taken with the formation of the Patronato which includes prestigious community leaders dedicated to this task. This group will be able to receive federal and municipal funds in addition to local donations for beautification, tourist booths, directional signs, lighting, architectural planning etc. and will have the power to enforce existing regulations or create new ones when necessary. Problems with buses, traffic, pollution, circulation of tourists, parking, preservation of historic buildings etc. will be worked on.» Well, they’re still «working on it» from what I see, but I still don’t understand who or why anyone would grant a building permit to the owners of «Mandala» on the Malecon. Can anyone out there explain to me how this huge, ultra-modern white structure fits into the image of the typical Mexican pueblito? And what’s the story with Hooters? Are they finally, finally going to take down that godawful sign above the place that shows up in all the photos taken by tourists who want to show the main square and Los Arcos Amphitheater to their friends? Now, THAT would be a good thing!

Have a fabulous week, dear readers. Give love and you will receive it back, multifold. Happy Valentine’s Day and hasta luego! pvmom04@yahoo.com

1 Comments:

At February 10, 2008 at 9:08 AM , Blogger qts said...

Why is no one commenting your wonderful articles? I have spent the better part of this Sunday in my home in Germany, reading and re-reading your news. I became a fan of yours on my first visit to PV in 2001. Back then, the pueblo still existed and charmed me to the teeth! I returned in 2003, 2004and again in November/December 2007. This last visit left me with a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach, however. The pueblo is turning into a cuidad and I do not mean that in a positive way. The overdevelopment (HIDEOUS highrises in Nuevo Vallarta, incredible traffic and the destruction of precious jungle and beachfront) is turning this once breathtakingly charming location into another Acapulco or Cancún. If I wanted that, I would book all-inclusive in those places. Why can PV not remain special, ecologically aware and (although I hate the word) exclusive? There really are enough people on this planet who are not seeking 24/7 party and STARBUCKS at every corner!! That being said, I would like to thank you for your insightful articles and tongue-in-cheek commentary. Your paper is the very first item I look for upon each arrival in Gira Sol Sur. As a Montreal-born Canadian/German with a Romanian husband and 2 rescued dogs (1 Romanian, 1 Greek), and a deep affinity to the Mexican way of life, I feel quite bound to you. Please continue with your writing. You provide a wonderful service on an internationel level!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home