Saturday, December 1, 2007

December 1, 2007


I want to thank all my readers who sent me such nice emails with regard to my column of last week. They wanted to read more of my «memoirs» from ten years ago. Actually, many years ago, I made a promise to our local readers that whenever I celebrate this column’s anniversary, I would write only about sugar and spice and everything nice. Those who know me know that this is nearly impossible for me...


During the ten years that have elapsed since I started working at the Tribune, Puerto Vallarta’s population has grown by leaps and bounds (perhaps too fast for its own good) and as the growth process evolved, more and more establishments have appeared on the scene. Some have endured the ups and downs to which tourism is subjected. Among those who have been with us from the very beginning, I would like to make a special mention of just a few that, in my humble opinion, have demonstrated that consistent high quality usually ensures survival… and success. Please understand that these are just a few. I could never mention them all (besides, I don’t have enough space, and my memory doesn’t serve me as well as it used to…) Among the ones that come to mind: Café Frankfurt (called Hacienda Alemana now), Kaiser Maximilian, Daiquiri Dick’s, Café des Artistes, Trio Restaurant-Bar, the River Café, La Petite France, Coco Tropical, Barcelona Tapas … and most of the art galleries that still operate in the downtown area. To all these establishments and the other «old timers», I wish continued success.


Once again, I want to commend all our contributors whose articles I translate into English, including the reporters who work full-time for our mother publication, the Tribuna de la Bahía. Never does a week go by that I don’t learn some fascinating facts while doing my bit for you to be able to enjoy their writings. Indeed, I consider myself one very lucky lady.


I am lucky for many other reasons too. I live in the most beautiful seaside resort in Mexico. I wake up every morning to glorious sunshine and -still being half-Canadian (the other half now officially Mexican)- welcomed warmth. I have been blessed with the friendship of some extraordinary people, both Mexican and foreign. For many years, I had close encounters with more four-legged, two-legged, no-legged and flying critters than I could ever have imagined while living in a northern metropolis, and some of them made sounds I had only heard on National Geographic specials. There were roosters all around, crowing at all hours of the day and night (remember, André Breton, the famous French writer, poet and surrealist theorist, once said that Mexicans live «IN surrealism») and donkeys braying and giving birth a few meters from my front door. Unfortunately, today, there are no more vacant, virgin lots around, so I want to believe that those beautiful creatures have found other, greener, habitats.


I’ve become accustomed to eating food and drinking juices very different from those that made up my diet in Canada. And it pleases me no end to introduce my snowbird friends to them whenever they come down to visit. There are few pleasures as fulfilling as seeing the expressions of delight on the face of a visiting friend to whom you have just shown something beautiful, something that is yours to enjoy all year round!


And as I’ve said so often, what other place do you know where you get to see fireworks every night …launched from a perfect replica of a 15th Century Spanish galleon? And where else in Mexico can we watch the humpbacks frolic before our eyes like they do in our Bay? You want impressive? They are.


Okay, enough of the mushy stuff, getting back to the less abstract, I couldn’t help but wonder about the total lack of promotion among the foreign community for the Ice Show? Oh, you didn’t know that there was an Ice Show in town? Well, there was. And the locals who work with the radio on all day did know about it, and they went to see it, and they truly enjoyed it!


On the topic of shows, I haven’t had the opportunity to attend the opening of «Those Oldies but Goodies» at the Cecatur Auditorium (see their ad somewhere in this issue), but those who did tell me that they were thrilled with the performances. The show features songs from the late 50s and early 60s, including a couple of the «novelty» songs of the era. With Mikki Prost and Len (of blu by len beauty salon fame), its success doesn’t surprise me! You can still catch it this Wednesday, Thursday or Friday, and tickets are available at the door and at various locations around town. For my part, I’m going to try to see it before you get to read this column.


Unfortunately, if you wait to read what I think of it, it will be too late. There will be no more performances. I’m sorry, but it’s one of the disadvantages of writing for a weekly publication, and besides, I’m no theater -or restaurant- critic. I just give you my personal opinion, nothing more.


For all my Jewish readers: Please note that in addition to Sol’s annual Hanukah bash at Café Bohemio on Friday the 7th, there will also be another Hanukah dinner in the garden area of Alexander Grosman’s Gallery, 1951 Francisco Medina Ascensio Blvd., on Tuesday the 4th. For more information on that one, you can reach Alexander at 293-0223, or on his cell at 044 322 779-3991.


I thank all the readers of this column for their never-ending feedback (both positive and negative) and the «real» Vallartans for providing me with a continuous source of material. God bless you all.
Hasta luego, que tengan una semana llena de alegría! pvmom04@yahoo.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home