Saturday, October 13, 2007

October 13, 2007


It’s been over a year since I last used the departure area of the Gustavo Ordaz Diaz international airport of Puerto Vallarta. The changes are impressive. The place looks like an airport of any big city, airy, huge, with a diversity of shops. Very nice indeed.
The American Airlines plane for which we were waiting arrived late. That was the beginning of my odyssey… Once it was ready, we boarded the aircraft bound for Chicago, all obediently, in the order of groups as called by the ground crew. Then the captain advised us that we would be leaving late, but not to worry, we would make it up in speed. Unfortunately, that was not to be. We encountered some «weather» along the way so the delay was not made up. At least, it wasn’t cold when we landed in Chicago, 28o C. It felt as if we walked miles and miles and miles to get to the customs and immigration area, claim our luggage and then put it back on the moving ramp. I wonder why they don’t have little trains or something for those older people who aren’t used to walking such long distances. When we finally did reach the luggage carousel, I told one of the AA reps that I was afraid I would miss my connection, to which she said, «Oh, no, don’t worry. You have plenty of time.» She was wrong.
By the time I got to the gate, the sign said «COMPLETE». I asked the AA rep why they didn’t «bump» someone considering I had a reservation –made months earlier- and that it wasn’t my fault that their plane arrived late, etc. etc. No go.
So off I went in search of food with the $10. dinner voucher I received from American Airlines. I never cease to be amazed by the amount of food one gets in the U.S. For $7.49, I had so much Orange Chicken, Oriental noodles and Szechuan Beef put on my plate that I couldn’t even finish it, despite the fact that I was starved. They don’t give you food on the planes any more, at least not in the plebeian class. And besides, I wanted to leave a little room for dessert… Walking around afterwards, I suddenly spotted a Dunkin’ Donuts stand! Oh whoppee, I thought, until I realized that the two fellows behind the counter were heaving all the donuts into one huge black garbage bag. They were chatting and joking around, so I had to raise my voice a little to get their attention… «WHAT are you doing with all those donuts?» I asked. They stopped their banter and looked at me questioningly. I explained that I wanted a couple of the donuts they had just disposed of, that I loved donuts, that I hadn’t had any in ages, etc. etc. That gave them a good laugh. They dug into the garbage bag and retrieved two chocolate glazed donuts – which they gifted to me. But they made me pay for the coffee…
I also made a major purchase of books at O’Hare’s book store - $7.99 to $9.99 U.S. instead of $20. or so in PV!
The accommodations I was given at the Airport Hilton Hotel were superb, though I was a little surprised to find out that they charge 35 cents a minute to log on to their WiFi internet. I received a really nice letter from the AA folks in response to my letter of complaint. It was full of apologies, hoping that I had a nice stay at the hotel, promising to do their best to make my next trip with them as enjoyable as possible, and so on and so forth …but no free tickets. Oh well, I tried.
Of course, as I had predicted, by the time I finally reached my destination, the 29oC summer weather Montreal had enjoyed for the last few weeks ended. It was 8 degrees on Saturday. I’ve been blessing my PV friend who lent me the jacket she used on her Alaska cruise. Without it, I wouldn’t be able to type ‘cause my fingers would be frozen for sure.
By the time you read this, I should be back in my beloved Puerto Vallarta, and I’ll get a chance to see the «FotografiaDOS» exhibit at the airport, featuring our own Javier Perez’ beautiful photos (check out our cover this week!)
That's all the space I've got. Don't forget to drop in to Langostinos' on Thursday at 7 p.m. for Bingo fun to benefit the kids of the R.I.S.E. children's shelter! Hasta luego. pvmom04@yahoo.com Web site: www.vallartatribune.com
For postings prior to July 1st, 2007, please go to www.shesaid-07.blogpost.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home