Sunday, October 7, 2007

September 30, 2007


There are few things in Puerto Vallarta as beautiful as the rainstorms that take place on a sunny day. Inevitably, we are sure to find a rainbow somewhere, usually over the mountains, but sometimes over the bay too. It all depends on where the clouds causing the rain are located. There was a rainbow a couple of weeks ago, then again on Saturday afternoon, September 22nd, and again, a double one this time, on Sunday the 23rd. How wondrous is Gaïa, our Mother Earth, Mother Nature!
On the other hand, She does wreak damage too. The rains we’ve had over the past few weeks have helped cause parts of the inside northbound lane of the Libramiento bypass road to disappear - its edges have been frittering away into the gutter, and huge potholes have appeared. I guess the loose gravel they spread didn’t do as good a job as they must have hoped.
And the city’s Department of Culture did it again too. They sent a notice to the Tribune on Friday announcing a wonderful presentation at the Cuale Cultural Center …set to take place the next day. Obviously, we couldn’t tell our readers about it as the paper had already gone to press two days earlier. Flamenco, guitar, a theatrical performance, etc… All in one night. In their review of the show, the PR folks of the Department write that the troupe has promised to return to Vallarta. I sure hope we find out about it early enough to share the news with our readers.
My oft-repeated -and still unanswered- question is: did no one in the Department know about this big event a few days earlier? I’m sure they did, but they just doesn’t seem eager to let anyone -other than the readers of the many local Spanish language dailies- know about the various truly worthy events it organizes. And then they complain about the lack of attendance.
Talking about lack of attendance, I couldn’t believe it when I heard that the Ciné Bahía was closing its doors, forever. Grapevine rumors have it that the building will be torn down to make way for goodness-knows-what. I for one will miss it dearly, and not just because I had become friends with the little old ticket lady, and the one who made those fabulous espressos and frappuccinos, or because of the homemade cakes they always had on sale, but because it was «my» neighborhood theater, the one I could walk to from my place. Call me old-fashioned, nostalgic, whatever… You might want to read my colleague Alan’s take on the event too - he expressed his feelings so beautifully that I felt I just had to translate it for you to enjoy. Personally, I prefer the smaller venues to those mega multiplex cinemas, especially considering that our two multi-screen monsters often show the same movies though they belong to competitive chains. I suppose it was bound to happen, but it is a pity nevertheless. And the town still doesn’t have a theater per se.
Come to think of it, I wonder why the city’s Department of Culture doesn’t consider such an undertaking. Perhaps it is due to the fact that it still hasn’t realized that foreigners truly enjoy live entertainment - which is why the Santa Barbara Theater does so well during the «high season». But it is small, and there are so many more of us who would like to attend live performances.
For the time being, the City is facing other challenges, i.e.: it is confronting the Greenpeace organization that is questioning the cleanliness of our beaches and whether they’re fit for us to bathe in …while claiming that it wants Vallarta to be named a «green destination». It is fining the Federal Department of the Environment and Natural Resources some $130,000. Pesos for cutting down the trees on the lot where it will be building its local offices, while it turns a blind eye to all the developers and residents who cut down trees wherever and whenever they please - without permits.
I’ve been reading a lot about the new Galeria shopping mall going up at breakneck speed out there, near Wal-Mart. All sorts of big names going in there; I just wish someone would open a donut franchise… I’m not complaining, mind you. A number of friends have brought down enough honey-glazed donuts to keep me going for a few weeks, something I appreciate more than any other gift, but still… I read an article in the news this week wherein a senior citizens’ home in the U.S. has decided to eliminate donuts from its menu, all with the intention of offering a «healthier» diet to its residents - who are so furious that they’re fighting the decision in every possible forum. During an interview, one 75-year old gentleman was talking about how he was old enough to make his own decisions regarding his diet. He only had donuts a few times a year, but vociferously resented the removal of his right to decide, adding «We’re seniors, not senile.» Yessiree, I agree!
Update on the crooked telephone post installed in front of my place: my neighbour cut down the one that was left barren a few feet from the new one. He didn’t believe the TelMex folks who told him they’d be back the next day to cut it down. Gee… I wonder why.
And of course, there’s the continuing saga of the Santander bank credit card I’ve been trying to get for the last year and a half. I did go to the bank, only to find out that they had sent me the wrong card. No accumulation of points to credit to my meager frequent flyer account. I asked the employee if I would have to wait another six months to apply for the one I wanted, to which he shrugged his shoulders and said, «Yeah, I guess so.» I figured I’d better get out of there before losing my temper, so that’s what I did.
The next day, I went to my own branch to cry on my friend Esther’s shoulder. The manageress laughed and explained to me that the card they had given me the previous day at the other branch was unsolicited… that’s what they do… not to worry, mine would be delivered to my home, and was there anything else she could do for me? «Yes,» I said, «as a matter of fact, there is. Can you arrange it so that I can pay all my utility bills online, directly from my account?» She could, and she did. I left, a much, much happier camper than I was when I first entered «my» branch.
Now you won’t have to read any more of my blather about bills that are delivered late, or never make it to my house.
I even managed to get out of the Benito Juarez Parking Plaza without having to confront any «Out of service» machines. Imagine that.
I was talking with a neighbour of mine about the new TV season that started last week, and how happy I was at the thought of having something to watch other than reruns. He has Telecable, and it too is advertising its new seasons, well, in a manner of speaking. They’re a year or more behind the originals, but still «new». He asked me which channels they would come on so he could catch them. I don’t know, and the folks who publish the (in)famous Telecable guide still do not consider it necessary to insert a grid that would tell readers which channel is in which position… Sorry, can’t help you with that anymore, my friend. I no longer have Telecable service.
Again: Happy Birthday to all the beautiful, balanced Libras out there -including all my children- and to the rest of you, I wish a most wonderful week. Hasta luego.
pvmom04@yahoo.com
Blog: www.shesaid-7.blogspot.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home