Friday, February 8, 2008

Jan. 26, 2008




It was quite a day, Sunday the 20th. Everyone was talking football, football, football …and cold!

I did a little research on my own, and found that the coldest game in NFL history was not the 1967 NFL title game at Lambeau Field when the Packers beat Dallas 21-17 in the Ice Bowl. It was minus 13 that day and the wind chill factor was estimated at minus 48. In fact, in the 1981 AFC championship game, while the temperature was minus-9, the wind chill plunged to minus-59 at Cincinnati as the Bengals beat San Diego 27-7. BRRRRRR!!!!!

Personally, I’ve been experiencing my own feelings of cold, relative though they may be. I realize that my body has become so accustomed to the tropical climate down here, having lived here for so long, that I no longer cope very well with temperatures lower than 20oC. When I was young(er), I used to think that anything over 0oC meant spring. Like all my fellow Montrealers, I used to set aside the winter coats and go out into that «balmy» weather wearing nothing but a T-shirt or sweatshirt. But that was then and this is now. I see all the tourists - a.k.a. snowbirds - walking around in short shorts and sandals in the evening, and I shiver.

I don’t get direct sun in my place, a fact that has always served me well, especially in the summer time. Folks would complain about the heat, while it was always nice and cool in the house. Now it’s the other way around. The continuous «colder» days and nights have permeated the walls, and now it’s «cold» all the time. But no, I will NOT go looking for firewood to light in the fireplace in our living room, which has been hidden by our TV and entire sound system for the last 14 years. The only purpose it has ever served, besides being very decorative, is as a refuge for my cats whenever the dogs decide to chase them.

I guess I should have a serious talk with myself and remind myself what 35 below feels like, in order to feel warm again. And thank the heavens that I don’t live up in the states of Sonora or Sinaloa, or even Guadalajara for that matter. There, in the big city capital of the state of Jalisco, the mercury hasn’t risen much above 5oC at night.
Last week, I found out that Mega could be charged and sentenced to a prison term as well as a hefty fine for selling me some lovely, small elephant plants (Beaucarnea gracilis). I learned that trading in those plants, as well as the Sago Palm (Cycas revolute) I bought for $1,800. Pesos (!!!) at the nursery on Francisco Villa, has been classified as a crime by Mexico’s Department of the Environment and Natural Resources (SEMARNAT). Who knew? Oh, and it is also illegal to sell the Pachycereus weberi. All three have been reclassified as species in danger of extinction in the wild. Should we advise the nice owners of the local nurseries that they’re all trafficking in illegal plants?

Still on the «trafficking» theme - another friend came to spend a few days in Vallarta last week. The one thing she wanted to take back to Montreal was one of those beautiful talavera ceramic sinks they create at Mundo de Azulejos, but was always afraid to do on her past visits - despite my assurances that it would be ok, they only cost around $50-60 dollars and they’re really easy to transport as they are surprisingly lightweight. Well this time, she finally did it! Afterwards, it was all she could talk about, her beautiful new bathroom sink, all the time right up to her departure. She left a very happy camper indeed.

For those of you who are the slightest bit interested in my continuing saga with the credit card department at Santander, I have news. Since the last time I wrote about it, I have received no less than two credit cards from them, both of them wrong. Not the one I’ve been requesting for the last two years. And they even had the chutzpah to send me a bill for «handling» the first one, even though it was never activated, and even though I did not have it in my possession as I had returned it to the bank. So I called the 800 number on the bill to clarify the situation. I ended up talking to a very nice young lady who assured me that she would cancel the charge, and would I please fax her a receipt of my salary slip so she could raise my limit to the appropriate one needed for the Santander Mexicana credit card (which entitles its bearer to accumulate frequent flyer points). I did. A couple of days later, I received another credit card in the mail, delivered to my home. I showed the fellow my ID, signed a receipt form, and opened the envelope. Wrong card. Again. I called the 800 number, again, but I was told that my rep only worked the afternoon shift, from 2 to 8 p.m. (I didn’t want to start retelling my sad saga again, from the beginning, to yet another rep…) The next day, I called at 4 p.m., to find out that my rep only worked the morning shift and that, besides, they couldn’t attend to anyone anyways because their «system was down».

Later on, I had to go to Rizo’s to pick up a few things, and get some money out of their ATM from my Canadian account. For the first time ever (in my case), that ATM screwed up. It issued me a receipt for a $5,000.-Peso withdrawal - but no money. When I went to tell Miss Tina about it, everyone in her office protested, «You CANNOT withdraw more than $4,000. Pesos per day, señora!» «Of course you can,» I replied, «I’ve been doing it for years.» «Impossible! We have a memo here from the bank, telling us that no one can withdraw more than $4,000. Pesos.» I wondered whether I should tell them that the message that comes on to the screen of the ATM clearly states that one can withdraw up to $5,000. Pesos per transaction, but I thought it better not to. Now I’ll just have to call my bank and ask them to fix the booboo.

Did I mention that ever since I got a ticket for parking in a no parking zone on Venustiano Carranza across from the Benito Juarez parking garage, cars have been parking there, in the very same spot, every day, and not a single one has ever gotten a ticket that I know of? I drive by there every day, and every time it makes me wonder what Murphy had against me on that fateful day…

And talking about cars and such, did you notice the traffic on the Libramiento during the recent holiday period? I’ve never seen anything like it. The line of cars reached from the traffic light at Francisco Villa …all the way back to the tunnel! Can you imagine what it’s going to be like when all the folks buying those multi-million dollar condos in the towers being built around the bay and up the mountain sides will move into them, with the cars they will bring with them, with which they will drive around? No wonder so many are moving to points north and south of town.

I have to get ready for the 4th Annual Dog Show now. By the time you read this, it’ll all be over but the doggie treats. It is such a fun event! I’m really looking forward to it. I’d also like to catch some of the shows at the Santa Barbara Theater before they close. Too much to see and do, too little time…Have a great week, prepare yourselves for February - the Month of Love -and St. Valentine's Day- by taking good care of yourselves and of each other. Hasta luego. pvmom04@yahoo.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home