Thursday, September 25, 2008

September 25, 2008


It has been a very exciting time for me this past week, and I apologize to those of you who are used to have me upload this column every weekend.

We’ve all been working very hard, putting together our new paper, the PV Mirror. If all goes as planned, it should be out in the streets by Saturday, October 4th – if not sooner.

Also, you’ll be able to read this column in the Mirror’s web site, regularly, every week without fault.

In the meantime, on a personal level, I finally got my little Tracker back, 10 days late. It was very strange for me, not having wheels for so long. I wouldn’t have minded so much taking the bus to the various places I had to go, but as a matter of principle, I refused to pay for a taxi to bring me back with all the stuff I had to buy, a.k.a.: food!

In any case, the first day I got it back, I tried to do everything at the same time. I’m sure you know that’s not possible, especially in Puerto Vallarta. What should normally take 10 minutes, ends up taking an hour…

I did notice the number of stores and restaurants that have closed, apparently forever. And a number of them are being literally torn apart inside, with mounds of debris on the sidewalk in front. Very sad, destruction and construction. I just hope that new endeavors will appear where others have not fared well. Basilio Badillo used to be such a lively, exciting street. Now it looks deserted – except for Steve’s Place. All sorts of folks in there, having fun and enjoying good food.

I also noticed that they’ve added new signs in the Benito Juarez parking garage. They obviously want to make it easier for visitors to understand the way it operates, which is a good thing. But –and there’s always a “but”- why can’t the owners get someone who speaks English to write out the four or five words correctly? I realize that I’m being picky, but still… Who was the maven in linguistics who told them to write “Pay before entering to your car”? Reminds me of that dental clinic in Plaza Villas Vallarta that had that huge sign out on the sidewalk that read “Walking clinic”.

It also looks like they’re back to their old tricks with the stop signs on the south side of town. Once again, they’re facing the wrong way on one-way streets so that no one who’s obeying the legal direction of the traffic can see them…

I witnessed something this week that can only happen in Puerto Vallarta… I had to go out –probably for the last time- to the offices of the Tribune, to pick up some papers. On the way there, Ecuador Street was flooded with about 6 inches of water, higher than the sidewalks. The weird thing is that Ecuador is way up high on the hill. Anyway, on my return trip, which was less than an hour later, there was no sign of the flood. None. The street was clean and dry. Couldn’t tell where the water came from, nor where it went …or evaporated with the heat. Very strange indeed.

Food? Ah, yes! I went to try Jason’s specials at the Back Alley Steakhouse on Wednesday night, $279 pesos per couple. Wow! I don’t know how that young man does it, but the place was full, and the portions huge. I must tell you: the salmon I ordered was just superb! And my friends literally licked their plates clean. I couldn’t. I ended up taking half of mine home, it was just too much for one meal.

Having been “away” (in Montreal, then in the house …carless), I’ve been doing a lot of getting together with friends for lunches and dinners, way more than usual. Another day, I went to meet some at the Beach House, that fabulous little place next door to El Dorado on Los Muertos beach. They have a lot of succulent items on their menu, but the Salade Niçoise is nothing short of amazing. If you haven’t had lunch there yet, do give Marco and his staff a try! You won’t be sorry. Tomorrow, I’m going back to Vitea on the Malecon, and then to El Arrayan while Carmen still has those yummy Chiles en Nogada during the Month of the Patría…
Addendum: Guess what? I had to park in the Benito Juarez garage again... someone changed the signs. They now read "Pay before returning to your car." Yeay! English! I guess someone must have told them...

Well, that’s all I’ve got for now, folks.
Stay happy, keep healthy, and enjoy our last rains ‘cause they’re bound to end soon, which does not make me happy. Hasta luego. My new email address: sheis@ymail.com

1 Comments:

At September 28, 2008 at 4:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola Anna

Just read your blog. We're travelling and have been since Aug. 14th. We want to wish you the best of luck with the PV Mirror venture. We've been disappointed with the direction the Tribune has taken and look forward to seeing what's up in the Mirror.

Mary

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home