Monday, September 15, 2008

September 14, 2008



First of all, I would like to respond to the gentleman who posted the comment last week.
Among the many reasons why the editor quit was the number of complaints she was receiving week after week about the Tribune’s lack of distribution and the lack of presence on line. No matter how many times she would forward them to the powers-that-be, they told her not to worry as it was not her responsibility, and they would look after it. They never did. Another reason is that she was totally opposed to the new format and their desire to fill the paper with articles downloaded from the internet which had nothing to do with our town. That’s all I can say for now.


When I’m up in the Great White North (which thank heavens it is not at this time of year), I try to keep up with the news in PV through the internet, and by chatting with my friends who are on one of the servers’ instant messaging systems. I also check out the various bulletin boards / forums on the net.

While checking out JR’s www.vallartascene.com forum, I was saddened to learn of the passing of Liz Broughal, announced by her business partner and friend, Anjalla Berttall. Liz was the co-founder and owner of Puerto Vallarta Vacation Baby, a business offering a much needed product in PV. Her business will be carried on by Anjalla under the name Lots for Tots Mexico. If you’re a grandparent, or want to find something for friends of yours coming down this winter with little ones, you can check it out at

www.LotsForTotsMexico.com

I have to tell you, I am really not impressed by the events this past week; more killings, shoot-outs, violence, etc. Not a good thing! Not for Vallarta’s image, and certainly not for its people.


Now that I’m back – thank heavens – it’s no better. Don’t get me wrong, I am absolutely delighted to be back HOME, rain or not, but the news is still awful. I heard that there were a number of chain emails going around asking people not to attend the famous “grito” on Independence Day as a protest against the wave of violence and social insecurity permeating the country. In fact, to the best of my knowledge of Mexico’s fascinating history, the only time changes occurred was when the people got together to oppose something (a.k.a. revolted) in one way or another, as a unified force. Perhaps something similar will happen again. Only time will tell.

On the flight back to PV, I was sitting next to a lovely lady from Florida, a grandma like me, but much younger looking. She was going to have a get together with other female family members of hers who live somewhere in the Midwest, and whom she hadn’t seen in a couple of years. They were planning a fabulous one-week holiday in what they were told was Puerto Vallarta. It wasn’t.

Their reservations were at the Grand Mayan in Nuevo Vallarta, but their travel agent had told them it was in Puerto Vallarta. Again, don’t get me wrong, please. I know that they will be staying in a wonderful resort, no doubt about that. But I really thought that with the creation of the Rivera Nayarit name, this kind of shenanigans would stop. Obviously, it did not. I felt bad for them, just because after talking to me, she was eager to get to know Puerto Vallarta, and now she and her relatives would have to pay a pretty penny just to get here and back.

Talking about which, when I arrived at PV’s airport, I had to take a cab as the only people I would ask to come pick me up couldn’t. So I asked the dispatcher how much it would cost me to Basilio Badillo. He said $280 Pesos. I said, “No way, the Colonia Emiliano Zapata is still considered the center zone. I’m not paying that kind of money.” (It’s a matter of principle…) So he hailed another driver, who drove up with a full-size van! He only wanted $230 Pesos. Done deal, plus he was very nice, we had a lovely conversation, and his cab was air-conditioned. Boy, was I happy to be home again.

Upon my return, I got to see the current issue of the paper for which I worked for eleven years. I found it very sad, especially the page filled with letters from readers criticizing what it has become. And none of the letters were answered. I also noticed the big ad they inserted, offering home delivery – for a price! That’s something they never wanted to do before, while I was there. And if they could never get their distribution system to function properly, how will they get home delivery to do so? Curiouser and curiouser. Oh well, I’m not an accountant, so, as I’ve said many times since I left: “Que les vaya bien.”

Haven’t got much else to share for now, but if I do, I promise to update this blog.
Keep well, my dear faithful readers, and do keep those emails coming. Note my new email address: sheis@ymail.com

1 Comments:

At September 27, 2008 at 5:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Anna,

Being a cheap-skate, I usually lug my luggage, puffing and panting, across the bridge and take a taxi there for maximum $100, sometimes I've managed to get it down to $80 which is the same as you pay for getting to the airport.

Hope this helps other to avoid the extortion of airport taxis.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home